Tuesday, April 15, 2008

[Update] pre-op clinic

Last Wednesday was the first time I saw patient in pre-op clinic, on my own.
I had no idea why I got so nervous when presenting to Attending.
the presentation was unorganized and of course imperfect.
anyway, first time is first time, don't push too hard right?

Today, I offered to see patient again. Attending was generous and brave. He even let me key in pre-op interview form and do patient pre-op instruction. Oh~ that's something, my language/knowledge level is capable for history taking but far away from giving instruction. Also, I'm not familiar with the system and everything. There's a good chance that I screw up.
well, right now, on reflection, I did make a few mistakes. I didn't check up patient's creatinine level and didn't measure her neck circumference.
Now I pray for successful surgeries tomorrow.

quick note:

  1. for hyperthyroidism: take beta-blocker and anti-thyroidH(PTU/Methimazole) before surgery, avoid ketamine, etomidate for induction
  2. don't forget to ask about dentures and moving teeth
I hope after today I'm still qualified for interviews on Wednesday.

No comments:

 

Website Hit Counter
Online Computer Shop