Saturday, May 03, 2008

[Update] VGHTPE- AIR

Beautiful American Holiday/Dream is over, back to the busy and hectic always VGHTPE.

May is scheduled for Internal Medicine: Allergy Immunology Rheumatology & INFection.
It turns out to be culture shock for a person who just finished rotation in USA and VGHKS.
Overwhelming service load from clinic and inpatient, always overtime working and the so-called hospital ethics (obedience & no questions) greet me right away.
Suddenly, reality calls, this is what I'm going to live with for the rest of my life.
Do I like it?

My attending, Dr. Lin is the master of AIR in Taiwan. I've heard of his fame but to see a OPD service of 120 persons/day, 3 days/wk is still quite amazing. I bet his wife and kids have to make an appointment to talk with him. Unfortunately, they can only have 5 minutes per visit.

Actually I have no right to complain and I don't plan to. Dr. Lin is an amazing character. Imagine, if I were him, can I sustain the life like this? Can I wake up in the morning feeling ready to welcome another restless day and endless clinical work? Can I still have smile on my face when it's already 9pm and the patients keep coming in like crazy? Hard to believe Dr. Lin has lived with these for decades and he seems to enjoy himself.
台灣醫生真的是超人, 比起國外權威多半隱身幕後, 看診量小, private practice; 台灣權威多半集中在medical center, 看診量以百人來記, 還要負責病房和行政工作
這些都很有可能把人的熱情迅速榨光, 要有很強的意志和對工作熱愛才能支持下去
應該要好好訪談這些醫生, 聽聽他們的熱情, 來鼓勵鼓勵我們這些懶惰蟲 ...

是離開太久了嘛? 這次驚覺VGHTPE 病人量的可怕
連星期六(今天值班) 醫院也充滿人, 美食街照樣爆滿

If I can survive the training here, I'll be tough...

No comments:

 

Website Hit Counter
Online Computer Shop